Friday, August 6, 2010

Spineless Feathers

Ok this is just real basic.
If you look at the top diagram; that's how I start them. 

The first one went to the top (or left) then the 2nd one I made on the bottom side. You can touch the feather to the previous or just come close it didn't matter when I stitched it out.
In the  2nd diagram I tried to show you how I curve them, I put a little bracket to show where as you're going along and want to curve up make 2-3 feathers on the bottom side.


 Count my numbers 8 was on the top then 9,10 and 11 were on the bottom then 12 back on top and then continue top, bottom, top, bottom.
If I would have made that #12 feather curve back on the #8 feather more I would have had a deeper turn or curve.

This 2nd picture is just another one of the curving, I think I curved better this time.


Oh dang, I just realized I forgot to show how you can shoot off in a different direction. So I will just say it. 

Ok, you just finished stitching that #28 feather, which I put in the center and ended that line of feathers.  You can back track along your spine (or where the spine would be if you had one, just follow along the feathers.)  The nice thing is since you don't have a spine there already, going back doesn't cause a bunch of thread buildup, which I don't like if I'm using a contrasting thread.  And since these are informal feathers, you don't have to stress over hitting the feather lines perfectly.  (yea.)

If I went back to the spot between feather #16 & 18, I could start a new line of feathers from there and either head back towards the beginning or out and around the end to the right.  It would depend on how much room I had left before I needed to roll the quilt.







1 comment:

Susan said...

Thanks so much for the instructions, Diane! I'm off to get my whiteboard...