Friday, August 27, 2010



My wall this morning, with several of the 9-Patch rows together (yea!) and on the left side my strips of 2.5" strips for a border (I was thinking just putting them on top and bottom to make this square quilt rectangular) and then a final outer border all around.
Yesterday Libby came over to sew for the day.  (yea!)  She's doing the 9-Patch project too. 
Well at some point I opened my cupboard where I have my stash and found a 6.5" wide piece of the setting fabric for this quilt-where did that come from? I had earlier told Libby I didn't have any left (scary!).   I was happy I found it although it wasn't enough for even a tiny border. I set it to the side for "just in case I need it later" and forgot about it and we had a great rest of the afternoon sewing and catching up.
So,  I went back to my sewing room in the evening and thought. (dangerous, I know!) I wonder if there is enough leftover setting fabric to make another row? I would need 10 (6.5" blocks & 2 setting triangles for the ends) so I could make a complete set of 9-patch "X's".
Well, amazingly I did have just enough.  I had to piece leftover chunks together to get a piece big enough for a 9 3/4" square to cut the side setting triangles-but it worked!  
So now, this morning I spent it unsewing all the bottom setting triangles from the rows that are on the wall and have cut out and matched up more 2.5" squares to make 20 more 9-patch blocks.
I'm going to like this quilt much better this way.  And I will probably be able to just sew a border of 2.5" squares around the entire quilt-not just top and bottom.


*******

The Knifty Knitter project is coming along.


I'm getting faster and having fun!!! and this yarn is so so soft.

*******
And I got my block-a-days done through 8/30. I have 8/31's cut out and will probably get that done today in between sewing 9-patches together. 



I also pieced together leftover binding for the 2nd Quilts for Kids quilt and if I get that done today and can wash the 2 of them and get them in the mail. (yea!)

I also want to finish painting the shed (project interupted because of rain). 

Paul is gone for the weekend....up to 'Camp diamond in the rough' for heavy labor with my brother, nephew and my dad. 
So I'll have plenty of sewing time with no dinner making time. 
woo-hoo.



10 comments:

Carol said...

Your 9 Patch quilt is incredible! Absolutely wonderful! Enjoy your weekend! I got tons done last weekend with Andy gone.

Mary said...

You have been one productive quilter! Way to go, Diane.
Mary

Cathy said...

Woohoo for you! A weekend all to yourself. Finding fabric you didn't know you had is almost as good as finding money in a pocket you'd forgotten about. Have fun this weekend. As usual, I'm working. (sigh)

Judy D in WA said...

Busy little bee!!! Buzzing round, getting lots done. Love the 9 Patch Project!!! The scarf is coming along nicely, how often to you smooch it??
And those fabulous Blocks!!! Bzzzzzz

Talin's Corner said...

Quilt looks great and what fun to spend a day with a friend. I am soooo jealous.

Polly said...

Nawwwwww! It should be titled- "What a Cutie Patootie"!! Look at that sweetheart on your header! Westies RULE!! BTW, love the quilt, too! Polly

Lynn said...

I'm so impressed with your keeping up with the Block-a-day piecing. I always fall by the wayside after a couple of days.

Oh, and your nine-patch is gorgeous!

QuiltSue said...

Sounds like you quilt the same way as me. Why do it the easy way, anyone can do that! Have a great weekend with no time constraints - I'd love a weekend like that.

Looking at your blocks I really love the circular one at the bottom.

Jeanne said...

Yippee!! I'm "around the corner" to Sept 3!!! I love it when I get past the end of a month -- only four more to go :)

Jeanne

Laurie said...

I love the 9-patch quilt and making it rectangular will make it better and well worth the extra work. I've worked with those knitting things and they are quite addictive. On trips I like to knit instead of sew. It's possible to knit in a moving car and sewing doesn't work there anymore for me.