Tuesday, September 18, 2012

NYB Simplified

Here is my first block.

6 1/2 inch block
Last night was our first quilt guild meeting of the year.  Linda J Hahn was our speaker.  She gave an excellent trunk show of all the quilts in her book and is a very funny lady too!

Today was the workshop, but I wasn't sure if I could make it with vacation and all so I didn't sign up.  
I had bought this book months ago when I decided I really wanted to make a NYB one day.

As you might recall, paper piecing and I don't get along.  So after a successful newbies class on the subject last year through the guild I got all excited, bought the book and then just as quickly was distracted!  
This morning I thought I better give it an attempt.

  This 6 1/2 inch block took me 2 solid hours.  I messed up 3 times and then turned the book upside down -and wallah I could do it.  I sewed right on the printer paper that I had.  I'm going to head out now and see if I can find some EQ printable foundation that Linda recommends-it doesn't have to be removed.  We felt her quilts after the lecture and you can not tell there's anything in there.
I also want to get a 9 1/2 inch square ruler. 
I need rotary cutter blades too- 45mm and 28mm.  Last night while I had 5 minutes before I had to leave to pick up Libby (she finally decided to try the guild!) I changed the blades on my cutters---none of them worked well.   I hate doing that 
little job.  I'm afraid of those things.

*******


fun times, fun times.  Life is Good.


1 comment:

Darlene said...

I enjoyed keeping up with you while you were on vacation. It was definitely a fast week - whew!

When I first started quilting I thought that someday I would make a NY Beauty quilt; alas, paper piecing and I are not a good match. :-( I can't wait to see more of yours. Have fun.