Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Block a Days and a FLASH!!



Here are my block a days 6/28-7/4.  Paul and I are going on a little bike trip from the 3rd -5th so I'm getting ahead again.  The 5 batik blocks are 12" and the 2 Aster Manor are 10"



Here are the 10" blocks  and Batik 12" I have so far.




So...I was planning on leaving up the 10" ones and maybe working on a layout for them and even going through the calendar and finding the next 5 blocks sized 10" and make them.  
But as I was looking at the batik arrangement (I had to take the 10" ones down for the picture) I had this FLASH!

****segway****
I've started another leader/ender project using 2.5" batik squares to make 80 9-patch blocks.  I'm doing  this as part of "The 9-Patch Project" you can read about it here.  Of course, making one 9-patch blocks a day is too slow and using the leader/ender method I get 5-6 done a day with out trying so I have about 50 made already
***
ok back to the FLASH:
My brain said, "what if you take some of those 9-patch blocks and use them as setting squares in the border....

and what if you put plain sashing strips in....OR WAIT use 2.5" strips for the sashing.


  

I like the plain sashing better. I think.



So now I have another new project to play with.....cuz Hell-O do I really have time for this!!!!?
that would be "no".
Oh and I did buy a lot of the black batik when we were shop hopping but I'll bet dollars to donuts I'm going to need more!
I may have to go to a quilt shop today...what a shame.

******

This has nothing to do with quilting stuff. 
While on vacation, I bought a 550 piece puzzle. It was very difficult. (partly cuz I think I need new glasses...) It took Meghan and I 3 evenings to complete. 
I used that Mod Podge stuff to glue it together and framed it. I never did anything like that with a puzzle before. From across the room and with me needing an updated prescription in my glasses the puzzle pieces blend real nice....



boo-hoo, I miss the Ocean. 
Actually the shore and the sound of the waves is what I miss...I'm afraid of the ocean and all the sharks and fish and lumpy things you step on when your 20 feet off shore in only 3 feet of water but your mind starts playing the theme from Jaws
in your head...

(Yes, I know, I'm 47. I should get over it already!)





7 comments:

Jeanne said...

I like the 9p idea! Laughing about getting something FINISHED with these B-a-Ds!!! I keep wanting to get some color set DONE so I can retire one/some of the ziplock bags with the fabric groups.
Happy Fourth! Jeanne

Cathy said...

That is a fabulous idea for those batik blocks! I love 9 patches. They are so versatile. I think i can understand how you feel about the ocean, although I've never been there. I love the sounds of waves, and Lake Huron has all the benefits of the ocean, with none of the salt water "creepies". Better yet, it's only an hour away from us.

Judy D in WA said...

Are you guys coming for a visit? :-) More great Blocks! I love the solid black sashing. You can do some fancy feathers in there. I love the ocean picture. The Mexico ocean is way better than the Washington ocean~so much warmer! I'm ready for a beach trip just to watch the waves.

Susan said...

I like the plain black settings too...it's going to be a great quilt!

I'm missing the ocean as well, but there's no time for a vacation this summer. (And yes, this 47 year old still hears the Jaws theme in her head every time she gets in over her knees too!)

Quilter Kathy said...

You are having WAY too much block fun over there!

QuiltSue said...

I think the plain sashing makes the blocks stand out more and I love the idea of adding the baby 9's.

Enjoy your trip to the LQS. Perhaps you could take the coastal road to get there?

Lynn said...

I like the nine-patch cornerstones, and I agree with you on the solid sashing. I think it's going to be a fabulous quilt.