Monday, March 10, 2014

Weekend sewing madness (seriously)

On Saturday our guild's group met.  I was asked to lead a demo.
So I showed these adorable fabric boxes.
They are addictive and take less than an hour to make one.




 Check out the tutorial, this is why I'm always bouncing from one thing to the other too many great projects out there!

....I saw this post from Kathy a few weeks ago and thought it would be a great block for our modern group to make a donation quilt for the guild.
You can find the pattern here .
 I made a couple sample blocks but changed the block size from 9 to 12 inches.
block on left I used 'made fabric

....Yesterday, I made two Star Fling blocks and
two 'baby' blocks with the leftovers...


The triangle pieces that get cut off are too big to toss.



 When you add the 2nd square,

 because this is a floating star, you get a 2nd HST that looks like the ones in the 2nd row of the picture below.


 I cut 4 background pieces and 1 center piece same size as my  leftover HST's


the big and the 'extra' laid out for sewing together

And 
Ta-da! 
 an extra wonky cute little star block.



*****

On the design wall. 


On the right is Urban Birthday, using the Little Black Dress fabric line.

 On the left. is Urban Pods. I found the grey fabric that I thought I was out of.
I love the Kaffe fabric I'm using for these blocks so I'm sewing them into strips for my new spring purse.









1 comment:

Kathy Schwartz said...

Love your fabric boxes and your Star Fling blocks look great! I like the extra wonky star block too!